Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Winter wonders and woes

The 2006 Winter Olympics were a joy to behold, as I'm sure you will agree. A true spectacle of snowy superstars, arctic athletes, and winter wooskies. I regret that I did not have time to watch more cross-country skiing and biathlon events. Also, I missed a great deal of the curling (shame on me). I hope to see more in 2010!

Now, I'm not sure if this observation will meet with great approval, but I have to say that the "Vancouver 2010" segment at the end of the closing ceremonies was as weak as seven days. Who created and coordinated that performance? The same people who created those insufferable Beaver ads for Bell Mobility? It looked like the ceremony they arranged at my junior high for the opening of the PEI Confederation Bridge.

True, I enjoyed the handover of the olympic flag to Sam Sullivan, and Avril Lavigne was tolerable, but what was with the random circus folks mingling with random hockey dudes? It looked to me like they hadn't rehearsed, other than to "move about in a sporty fashion". And what was with the Courier de Bois and his ice-fishing apparatus? I thought the Olympics were in Vancouver, not Sherbrooke. Not that I care too much how this foreshadows our opening and closing ceremonies - I'm sure the events in Vancouver will be first class.

Come play with us...

3 Comments:

At 8:49 am , Blogger Geoffrey Crofton said...

Sadly I missed the Closing Ceremonies as I had already gone to bed - but it sounds like I didn't miss much.

I greatly enjoyed the biathlon and the cross-country skiing. I've determined that biathlon is better though.

I can't wait for 2010 - see you all out at the Skeleton track!

 
At 7:12 pm , Blogger Gilman said...

I missed most of the Canada part because I figured it would be at the end, not the beginning, and just watched the last half hour or so. Assumption makes an ass out of u and mption.

 
At 10:15 pm , Blogger Gned the Gnome said...

I see from the newspapers today that the general sentiment among the Vancouver populace was the same as mine - the Vancouver 2010 portion of the closing ceremonies was lame. And here I thought I was being original...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home