Tuesday, July 12, 2005

J'ai fini!

Holy crap! Heavens to Murgatroyd! I'm done.

Yesterday I wrote my last exam. Not only is this the last exam of my master's degree, it should (Allah be praised) be my last exam ever. In this age of everlasting education, you have to give your head a shake when you think of all the exams you've suffered through. Junior high, secondary high, 4-year undergraduate degree, 3-year law degree, professional designation exams, and now more! Did Gandalf have to write this many exams? As a fellow thirtysomething student was saying to me after yesterday's ordeal, we are too old for this. Indeed.

It didn't help that southern England decided to try its best Congo imitation yesterday, the sweltering heat causing another fellow student to remark that he was "sweating like Gary Glitter in a nursery". I love it! To be fair, this clever British simile was prompted by my (rather less obvious) comment "I'm sweating like a madman". All credit to Roggles for that one.

Anyway, the exam went very well. Following a hurricane of confetti, champagne, and something that I *think* was shaving cream, Ms Muppet and I joined some colleagues for beers and ballyhoo at the Turf Tavern. Ms Muppet then returned for her final afternoon of work. Today we are free! Tomorrow we depart on our trip to Scotland, joined by our bohemian literary correspondent, Monsieur Roggles.

Watch for us in the crowd at St. Andrews on Friday. We couldn't make it to Wimbledon or le Tour, but we are going to be on hand for the British Open! If anyone would like an authentic Loch Ness Monster tooth, let me know by tomorrow.

4 Comments:

At 5:15 pm , Blogger gkarlsen said...

Congratulations oh masterful one!!

All hail the Master!

May you ever remain Master of you domain. Or at least your domain name.

Enjoy your freedom! Revel in your accomplishment. Partake of the glory of success. Yee-haw!

;-)

I appreciate the offer of the Nessy tooth but I bought the last one when I was there last year so you might be outa luck. Some guy in Stirling did offer to sell me William Wallace's real sword (apparently the one at his monument is a totally bogus fake for the dumb tourists) but I couldn't afford the 75 pounds he wanted for it...if you could find him and buy it for me I'd really appreciate it, I've been kicking myself for passing it up.

And, make sure to try out the Caber Toss while you're there, nothing like flinging a pole while wearing a skirt to make you feel like a man.

 
At 6:13 pm , Blogger Gilman said...

Well done, Gned. I gaven't written an exam or set foot in a classroom in about 14 years, but I still have dreams about being late for school, missing classes, etc. Why is that?

Give Nessie a peck on the cheek for me!

 
At 5:51 am , Blogger Aaron Fyke said...

Hooray for Geoff!

 
At 6:19 pm , Blogger Callie said...

Congrats! Now you can concentrate on FUN and RELAXING, like the rest of us slackers...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home