Exam shazaam
Law exams approach like a pungent swarm of cave trolls. They're big, they're cruel, and they're hard to understand.
My thesis is done but I am required to "offer" examinations in my three taught courses. Such is the way of the Oxford BCL. I begin on June 30 and, thanks to a nicely distributed schedule, finish on July 11. The format is much like undergraduate exams, with the masters students gathering in ye olde Examination Schools with pens in hand, clad in full sub-fusc (academic dress) and sweating like Fat Albert in a wool sleeping bag waiting in an Iranian election queue. I've heard rumours that the Examination Schools building is air-conditioned, but I had also heard rumours that English bathroom plumbing was entering the modern era, so I have my doubts...
The Exam Schools
I have no doubt that these exams will be difficult. One is expected to know an enormous amount of English law, both within and surrounding the course in question, and all of it is closed-book (unlike North America). I'm making my way through the material and I have a decent level of confidence in my exam technique (probably as important as actual knowledge), but I must admit that the trolls have me scared. At least I get to take them on one at a time, like Hercules in the old cartoons. Unfortunately, the limited range of grades that one can achieve for the overall program consists of (a) fail (b) pass (second class) and (c) distinction (first class). Almost no one fails and very few get a first, although the prevailing mantra is that "everyone here is capable of getting a first". Hmmm. As you advance to a high level in your chosen endeavour, you inevitably learn that there really is truth in the saying "there's always someone smarter". The Oxford graduate law program is brimming with a lot of clever people. For the first time in my academic life I don't snort when other students ask questions, something I did fairly often at UBC law where alleged 8+ GPA types with degrees in political science, english, philosophy, etc would make cretinous statements. Not so here. This does appear to be a cretin-free zone!
The other day I was talking to two fellow students from Northern Ireland and India. We agreed that almost anyone here has the potential to spock out on his or her exams and receive the illustrious Distinction, but that very few will actually do so. As such, each of us is prepared for the unglamourous "pass".
I'm prepared for it, but I'm not accepting it yet. The trolls shall die.

We kicked some ass today, Newt!



5 Comments:
LOL @ Herc and Newt.
Good luck on your exams Gned! Hope you "spock out"!
PS. I love the fact that "spock" has become a verb.
Well if you don't get distinction for your closed-book knowledge of everything in and surrounding (huh?) the courses you're taking, the overlords at Oxford have failed to spot one of the sharpest wits of our time. A man who's neural pathways are so nimble, they can, at whim (and for whimsy), piece together such potent imagery as:
"... sweating like Fat Albert in a wool sleeping bag waiting in an Iranian election queue."
To quote Black Adder: "Are you good? No! I am a geeeenius!"
I certainly hope you patted yourself on the back for that one. Good luck Gned (but you don't really need it).
p.s. How's your schedule after exams? Care for an adventure of the Scottish kind?
Even if you come slinking home with a dispicable "pass" we will still greet you as a conquering law hero. Sadly, conquering law hero's get no ticker tape parades - hopefully cheap sushi and pagan-buddha beer will suffice.
Thanks for the new analogy, my old standby "sweating like myself" just doesn't have the same evocativeness that yours does...NICE!!
Herc, Herc, the ring Herc!
Fat Albert! Good stuff, I had a nice hearty chuckle in my cube over that one... then I had to quickly minimize my screen!
Sounds like you're pretty calm, cool and collected about the whole thing! Stay cool, and good luck!
Spock, spock, spock! I'm going to use that...
Good luck Gned - and if you can't "Spock Out" on the exams, maybe try to "Kirk Out" instead. Manfully start a fight with the midget alien invigilator, and then batter him with logic into contradicting himself and exploding (as he's also a robot). Then you walk free and award yourself any distinction you like.
Do I get bonus geek points for a Star Trek-related blog comment? I should!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home